When designing the 7721, Chameleon’s engineers started with a clean sheet of paper and deeply evaluated the details associated with developing a bus compressor for the modern studio. Basing detection and voltage control on a voltage control amplifier (VCA) topology and designing a circuit that provides low noise and transparency the team created an acoustic “glue" that is capable of consistently delivering punch and loudness to the signal.
Unlike most compressors currently available, Chameleon have added an Input Gain stage which allows you to effectively adjust the level of the source signal. This allows you to effectively establish the relationship between the Threshold level and music signal in the box.
The 7721 provides a classic set of adjustable settings as well as controls only available on esoteric compressors, including:
- Soft Knee / Hard Knee – Allows you to change between a softer arriving compression effect and a faster arriving, limiting type effect.
- Peak / RMS – This control allows you to choose between the Peak and RMS detection schemes that are quite different. Peak detection engages the compressor by monitoring peak or instantaneous voltage signals. RMS engages by looking at the average energy in the signal and comparing it to the threshold setting. Very different modes of operation that provide great solutions for specific problems.
- High Pass Filter – If you decide to use a Side Chain signal as the compression trigger signal, you can use the High Pass Filter to high the audio signal and avoid pumping effects.
- Classic Controls – Threshold / Attack / Release / Ratio – Low ratios provide a nice starting place for master transparency, 4:1 provides more color and higher ratios for a tougher sound full of character. We like to use Attack and Release controls to respond to tempo and feel of a track.
- Blend – This control allows you to blend, or mix, the original uncompressed signal with the compressed signal providing another tool you can use to obtain your desired objective.
- VU Meter - Monitor Input, Outputs and Gain Reduction levels.
Specifications & Downloads
User Controlled Functions
On Switch:Turn Unit On - VU Meter Light is ON
Compression:Insert compression circuit or bypass
Side Chain:Use Side Chain Input for triggering
Compression:Soft or Hard knee compression type
Input Gain:Input buffer stage gain control
Detection:Peak or RMS
High Pass Filter:60, 90, 130 or 200 Hz high pass filter applied to Side Chain detection signal
Threshold:Applied between -15dB and +15dB
Attack:Attack time in milli seconds - .1 / .3 / 1 / 3 / 10 / 30
Release:Release time in seconds - .1 / .3 / .6 / 1.2 / 1.5